Locks and Security News: your weekly locks and security industry newsletter
7th December 2022 Issue no. 634
Your industry news - first
We strongly recommend viewing Locks and Security News full size in your web browser. Click our masthead above to visit our website version.
The MLA cements itself as industry-leading association with new beginner's programme
Introduced in early 2016, the MLA's change to a Modular Training Programme has been a huge success, not only from a student numbers perspective, but also from a student feedback perspective! In fact, one recent student, Paul Medway, said: "... taught by two very knowledgeable tutors who were on hand when ever myself or fellow pupils needed some advice.
"I really enjoyed the whole five day course and am looking forward to using the skills that have been taught so well to me. Many thanks."
Not only does the programme provide a flexible approach to learning outcomes, but it also provides extra value. For instance, students can pick modules to suit their current experience. This flexibility has been a huge success with positive feedback from students. Responding to this demand from our students has meant the course has achieved record numbers in 2016 and even 2017; often selling out months before! This achievement has helped the MLA cement itself as the Market Leader within the locksmithing training arena.
Advanced Modular Programme for 2017:
Building on the success of the Entry Level programme, the MLA has recently generated further modules aimed at the more experienced locksmith who wants to develop their skills and offer new services.
The Level 2 Modules developed so far include the following:-
* Half-day Mechanical Locksmithing - Bench Locksmithing
- disassembly, mastering, passing, modular assembly, re-profiling and changing cams, key cutting by hand (lever, warded and safe locks), general lock repair
* Half-day Mechanical Locksmithing - Furniture Locks
- lock & key recognition, key cutting, lock decoding, core removal, key code identification, master keys and pass keys, opening and bypass methods, lock and mechanism repair, Radial Pin Tumbler lock opening and decoding
* Half-day Mechanical Locksmithing - High Street/Commercial Premises Locksmithing
- APG Doors & Locks (different applications, where and how fitted, different types of rails, Patch System, removal & fitting), Aluminium Doors (types of springs, side & end load, hold open & non hold open, types of closers and pivots, types of locks, specialist hardware)
* Half-day Modern Mechanical Locksmithing - Mechanical & Battery Operated Digital Locks
- manufacturers and lock types, key safes, luggage locks, manipulation, code changing, lost codes, battery operated locks, programming, upgrading, troubleshooting
* 1 day Mechanical Locksmithing - Opening Module (Level 2) (Lever)
- differences between different 5 lever locks, lock ID, opening curtain and non-curtain locks, lock drilling, lock picking
* 1 day Mechanical Locksmithing - Safe Lock Servicing
- typical safe locks, replacement vs cutting keys, alterning combination, minor repairs, servicing and lubricating bolt work and re-lockers, combination locks, Chubb Isolator mechanism, time & delay locks, electronic locking, insurance ratings & relevant standards
15th March 2017